Acknowledgements and dedications


These are books that have either been dedicated to Annie Dillard or where she has been listed in the acknowledgements. All of the acknowledgements list other people as well, but the quotations below only focus on the authors debt to Dillard.



Backes, David:  The A Wilderness Within: The Life of Sigurd F. Olson

“Many people […] contributed to this book by sharing their memories of Sigurd Olson with me, by lending me material, or in some other way. I am grateful to […] Annie Dillard […].”


Baird, Robert P.:  Three essays on Dante's soteriology (University of Chicago dissertation)

“Of the many friends whose laughter, solace, and support I have depended on during the writing of this dissertation, I would like to thank in particular [...] Annie Dillard.”


Bell, Madison Smartt:  Child of Light: A Biography of Robert Stone

Thanks Dillard for taking “the time to talk to me extensively about [her relationship] with Bob Stone.”


Cramer, Jeffrey S.:  I to Myself: An Annotated Selection from the Journal of Henry D. Thoreau

“For sharing their thoughts with me about Thoreau, I would like to thank: Annie Dillard […]” (xii).


Doniger, Wendy:  Splitting the Difference: Gender and Myth in Ancient Greece and India

Dedicated to Dillard.


Doniger, Wendy:  The Woman Who Pretended to Be Who She Was: Myths of Self-Imitation

“I am grateful to Annie Dillard for encouraging me to retell several stories that I have told in print before, because, she assured me, none of my readers would remember any of my earlier books.”


Ehrenreich, Barbara:  Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War

“A number of people—friends, relatives, acquaintances, and assorted scholars—read and commented on drafts: […] Annie Dillard […].”


Farmer, Paul:  Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor

“Less easy to classify are free-floating friends and colleagues who have helped me in one way or another, usually to see something that I would have otherwise missed. This group includes […] Annie Dillard […].”


Inchausti, Robert:  Thomas Merton's American Prophecy

“Thanks also go to […] Annie Dillard.”


Kessler, Brad:  Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese

Dedicated to Dillard.


Ladner, Lorne and Lama Zopa Rinpoche:  The Wheel of Great Compassion

“For their help with various aspects of this project, I would also like to offer thanks to […] Annie Dillard […].”


Larsen, Deborah:  The Tulip and the Pope: A Nun’s Story

“For their support and encouragement I want to thank […] Annie Dillard […].”


Larsen, Deborah:  The White: A Novel

“I would like to thank the following persons for the generous help, present and/or past, that made this book possible: […] Annie Dillard […].”


Mcbrien, William:  Cole Porter

“I’m often asked what led me to write a biography of Porter. The story of this book begins with Annie Dillard, a writer I admire and a dear friend. It seems that Interview magazine was in search of a likely writer to do a short piece on Cole Porter, and consulted Annie, who had liked Stevie: A Biography of Stevie Smith, which I’d recently co authored with Jack V. Barbera. No doubt she recalled how, as fellows at the Ossabaw Island artists’ colony, we several times sneaked into the vacant composer’s studio, played and sang Cole Porter songs, and danced (at least the fleet-footed Annie did, even on the tables, the piano, and the window ledges). So she kindly recommended me to Interview and I wrote ‘Cole Porterland,’ which people seemed to enjoy.”


Miller, Ellen:  Like being Killed

“Thanks […], especially, to […] Annie Dillard.”


Payne, David:  Back to Wando Passo: A Novel

“I’m grateful […] to Bob Richardson, whose library was my phoneless, e-mail-less sanctuary, the place I retreated each day to write and came to think of as my whaling ship; [… and] to the writers who spoke up for it [(this novel): …] Annie Dillard […].”


Paine, Irene M.:  Eva and Henry: A Cape Cod Marriage

“I thank Annie Dillard for her suggestions to me twenty years ago regarding the craft of writing a novel”  (p. viii).


Reid, Panthea, Tillie Olsen: One Woman, Many Riddles

Listed in the acknowledgements.


Richardson, Robert D.:  Emerson: The Mind on Fire

Dedication:  “For Annie, who also knows the days to be gods.” In the acknowledgements: “Annie Dillard […] also read the book in manuscript. […] The dedication inadequately records my gratest debt of all.”


Richardson, Robert D.:  First We Read, Then We Write: Emerson on the Creative Process

“My wife, Annie Dillard, is my light. ‘Learn from the masters,’ she said. I’ve tried.”


Richardson, Robert D.:  The Heart of William James

The author “wishes to thank […] Annie Dillard, who suggested the title” (335).


Richardson, Robert D.:  Nearer the Heart's Desire

Dedication: “For Annie one more time.” In the acknowledgements: “I am grateful above all to Annie, who is the source of all the light I have..”


Richardson, Robert D.:  October, or Autumnal Tints

Dedicated to Dillard.


Richardson, Robert D.:  William James: In the Maelstrom of American Modernism

Dedication: “For Annie, who wrote, ‘We have less time than we knew and that time bouyant, and cloven, lucent, missile, and wild.’ ” In the acknowledgements: “Annie Dillard believed in both my subject and me through thick and thin.”


Rose, Phyllis:  The Penguin Book of Women's Lives

“I am very grateful to all the people who suggested reading. For this service and others, warmest thanks to [...] Annie Dillard.”


Rose, Phyllis:  Parallel Lives: Five Victorian Marriages

“I also want especially to thank Annie Dillard for precious gifts of time, friendship, intelligence, and candor.”


Smith, Lee:  The Devil’s Dream

Thanks “Annie Dillard, for the song title ‘Two Lefts Don’t Make a Right’ ” (p. 317).


Smith, Lee:  The Last Girls

Thanked "for great lines, insights, or inspiration."


Smith, Lee:  Saving Grace

Dedicated to “Annie.”


Symmes, Patrick:  The Boys from Dolores: Fidel Castro's Schoolmates from Revolution to Exile

“I am greatly indebted to […], and must mention the many lessons learned from […] and Annie Dillard.”


Symmes, Patrick:  Chasing Che: A Motorcycle Journey in Search of the Guevara Legend

Acknowledgements thank Dillard.